RSSON utilizes the HESI Admission Assessment (A2) as a tool to assess the academic preparedness of prospective nursing students for the Baccalaureate of Science in Nursing (BSN) program.
The HESI A2 Admission Assessment is administered in the TMU Nix Student Center Testing Lab. Dates are posted on HESI A2 Testing Schedule. Students must register through Elsevier and create a MyEvolve account. Please note that students are encouraged to sit for HESI A2 the semester prior to their intended acceptance into the nursing program to decrease scheduling issues. Space for testing is limited and students should register for a test date early. No additional tests dates will be added. Recommended deadline for HESI A2 completion is September 15th.
The HESI A2 Admission Assessment consists of five computerized content areas including Math, Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary and General Knowledge, Science, and Critical Thinking. A composite score of 75% is required for consideration of admission into the SON.
- Math: 55-item examination focused on math skills essential for health care professions including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals, ratios and proportions, household and metric measurements and conversions, and general mathematical principles. Recommended time: 50 minutes.
- Reading Comprehension: 55-item examination focused on reading and comprehension of health-related scenarios. Students will identify the main idea, determine meaning of words within the context of the scenario, reading passage comprehension, and develop logical inferences related to the scenario. Recommended time: 60 minutes.
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge: 55-item examination focused on assessment of basic vocabulary that is often used in health professions. Recommended time: 50 minutes.
- Science: 30-item examination of each of the following, Anatomy and Physiology: focused on comprehension of general terminology, anatomical structures and functions of the human body systems. Recommended time: 25 minutes. Biology: Covers biology basics, water, biological molecules, metabolism, cells, cellular respiration, photosynthesis, etc. Recommended time: 25 minutes. Chemistry: Contains test items that cover matter, chemical equations and reactions, the periodic table, atomic structure, nuclear chemistry, chemical bonding, etc. Recommended time: 25 minutes
- Critical Thinking: 30-item examination focused on assessment of critical thinking ability in situations encountered in healthcare settings. A total score is reflective of abilities including four categories: 1. Problem Solving, 2. Biases and Ethical Dilemmas, 3. Argument Analysis, 4. Analysis of Data. All answers are multiple choice; however, each item represents varying degrees of critical thinking ability. The higher the score, the better the representation of the student’s ability to critically think which is essential within the nursing discipline. This examination does not require a minimal score for admission criteria evaluation.
Scoring and Admission Guidelines
Students will receive a score for each content exam as well as a composite score. Students must score a minimum of 75% on the composite score, including the math, reading comprehension, vocabulary and general knowledge, and science content examinations for consideration of admission into RSSON. Each exam requires a grade of 75% or better on each individual examination to receive priority admission. The composite score and the student’s nursing core curriculum GPA will be utilized to determine admission into RSSON nursing program if ranking is needed. The composite score and the nursing core curriculum GPA will each count at 50% to determine an admission score by which students will be ranked.
The HESI A2 Admission Assessment may be completed a maximum of three times within one calendar year. The scores are valid for one year and a repeat examination may only be taken greater than 30 days from the previous examination. Students failing to meet the minimum of 75% composite score will need to register to retake the examination on another available test date. Students scoring the minimum of 75% composite score may choose to retake the examination on another available test date to improve scores. For admission consideration, the best score will be utilized from the examination if the student has tested twice.
A student failing to meet the 75% composite score after two attempts will not be eligible to retake the exam until one year from the first examination date.
Scores from other testing sites will be considered.
Academic integrity is expected of all students. Breeches of academic integrity will not be tolerated and may result in denial of admission into RSSON or dismissal from the program. Any student(s) found to be engaging in any type of academic dishonesty, forgery, or misrepresentation of identity will not be allowed to test. Any breech of academic integrity discovered after testing may result in ineligibility to apply to the nursing program.
After Exam Completion
Students will receive scores within 24 hours after testing by accessing the myEvolve website. Students are provided remediation information specific to their individual examination results through myEvolve. Scores are provided to RSSON following the exam. Students are not required to send scores to RSSON. However, if the student tests at an alternative testing site, the student is responsible for providing a copy of the HESI A2 Admission Assessment score to RSSON.
If you have questions concerning the HESI A2 Admission Assessment requirements, please contact Rielin & Salmen School of Nursing at (706)865-2134, ext. 6001 or your nursing academic advisor.