AreaFaculty | School of The Humanities
- Ph.D. and M.A. in U.S. History with specializations in military history and East Asian civilizations, Texas Christian University
- B.S. in Philosophy and Religion with a minor in history, Toccoa Falls College
- American History
- European and World History surveys
- U.S. Civil War
- Historical Methods
- Philosophy of History
- Intellectual and philosophical history
- U.S. Civil War
- Asian history
- C. S. Lewis and the Inklings
- History of science, particularly the development of cosmology and quantum physics
- Faculty Distinction Award, Liberty University, December 2015
- Outstanding Adjunct Award, Regent University, 2009
- Outstanding Service Award, Department of History, TCU, 2001-2002
- The Mythopoeic Society
- Intercollegiate Studies Institute
- Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society
- International Society of Christian Apologists
- Robert E. Lee: A Life. Greenwood Press, 2012.
- Sherman’s Forgotten General: Henry W. Slocum. Columbia, MO: University of Missouri Press, June 2007.
- “The Great War and Narnia: C. S. Lewis as Soldier and Creator,” Baptism of Fire: The Birth of the Modern British Fantastic in World War I. Janet Brennan Croft, Ed. Altadena, CA: Mythopoeic Press, 2015.
- “The Great War and Narnia: C. S. Lewis as Soldier and Creator,” Mythlore. Fall 2011.
- “Into the Trenches of Narnia: C. S. Lewis the Soldier and the Narnian Way of War,” The Lamppost, Winter 2010.
- “Wading in ‘Deep Water’ with a ‘Driveling Cur:’ The Slocum-Hooker Feud and the Chattanooga Campaign.” The Tennessee Historical Quarterly. Summer 2006.
- “‘The Town that Sherman Wouldn’t Burn’: Sherman’s March and Madison, Georgia in History, Memory, and Legend.” The Georgia Historical Quarterly. Summer, 2002.
- “U.S. Southern Secessionist Rebellion and Civil War (1861-1865),” The Encyclopedia of Revolutionary Movements, James DeFrenzo, ed. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2006.
Dr. Melton and his wife, Kami, also coordinate the Inklings Alliance, a growing group of Christian writers and artists groups that began in their living room and have since spread internationally. The Meltons have two daughters with whom they love to go adventuring.