Joe Smith is the senior pastor of the First Baptist Church of Bear Town, Georgia. Like nearly 35% of all Southern Baptists pastors in Georgia, Pastor Smith is bi-vocational, both serving his church and working outside the church in order to provide for his family.
With a limited budget, Joe believed that a distinctive, conservative Christian education was out of reach, until now! Truett-McConnell College, originally formed to equip bi-vocational pastors for ministry, has returned to its purpose of serving the local churches of the Georgia Baptist Convention.
If you register for our online programs you may be eligible for one or all of the following scholarships and grants:
- Georgia Tuition Equalization Grant: Up to $1,000 (This grant is being considered for state cuts, we will not know if this grant will be available for 2010-11 until we hear from the state.)
- Estimated Pell Grant: Up to $5,550 (Pell grant eligibility is based on 2009 income for both husband and wife and several other factors including household size and amount of untaxed housing allowance. To see if you are eligible you must file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at www.fafsa.ed.gov for the 2010-11 academic year. TMC’s federal school code is 001597.
- TMC Bi-vocational Pastor’s Grant for full-time students; based on financial need (enrolled for at least 12 credit hours per semester): Up to $1,000 per year.
- Georgia Baptist Ministerial Scholarship for full-time students: $1,128 per year. Applications are available in the Financial Aid Office.
- Limited number of endowed scholarships are available. Students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Below you will find examples of financial aid estimates that were made using the 2008 Compensation Study from the Georgia Baptist Convention. We used the average pay package for bi-vocational senior pastors to come up with estimated financial aid awards. Please note that every student is different and these estimates do no constitute an actual award.
The following information will be used for all examples.
Grants available to all Georgia Baptist Bi-Vocational Pastors:
|TMC Bi-Vocational Grant||$1,000|
|GA Baptist Ministerial Fund||$1,128|
|Georgia Tuition Equalization Grant*||$1,000|
|TOTAL GRANT MONIES||$3,128|
*this grant is pending authorization and funding from the state for 2010-11
Estimated cost for full-time online students is $6,000 plus $150 per sub-term for technology fees. Total tuition for 24 credit hours for two semesters (four sub-terms) and $1,200 (estimated) for books is $7,800.00.
See the chart below giving Balance and payment options for all three examples.
Pastor Joe Smith is married and has two children. His wife is a homemaker and his income from the church is $21,274. He has a job where he earns $25,000 per year. His total income is $46,274 for the year. He does not receive housing allowance.
Pastor Joe qualifies for a Pell Grant in the amount of $2,400 in addition to the $3,128 listed above. His total grant monies will be $5,528.
Pastor Joe Smith is married and has two children. His wife works and earns $32,000 a year. His income from the church is $21,274. He has a job where he earns $25,000 per year. Their total income is $74,274 for the year. He does not receive housing allowance.
Pastor Joe will not qualify for any additional Pell Grant monies. His total grant monies will be $3,128.
Pastor Joe Smith is married and has two children. His wife is a homemaker and his income from the church is $21,274. He has a job where he earns $25,000 per year. His total income is $46,274 for the year. He receives $3,500 per year of untaxed housing allowance.
Pastor Joe will qualify for a Pell Grant in the amount of $1,500 in addition to the $3,128 listed above. His total grant monies will be $4,628.
|Example 1||Example 2||Example 3|
|Tuition||$ 6,600.00||$ 6,600.00||$ 6,600.00|
|Financial Aid||$ 5,528.00||$ 3,128.00||$ 4,628.00|
|Balance Due||$ 1,072.00||$ 3,472.00||$ 1,972.00|
|Due Per Semester||$ 536.00||$ 1,736.00||$ 986.00|
|9-Month Payment Plan*||$ 119.12||$ 385.78||$ 219.12|
*no interest but has a $45 application fee
- Student may also borrow a student loan to cover the Balance Due amount and include money for books. Maximum loan eligibility will vary by student depending on transfer credits if any. Freshman level maximum for independent students is $9,500.